Office: Advanced Technology Laboratory (ATL) Room 211A
Phone: (860) 486-2180
For more information about Dr. Luo and his lab, please visit: luo.uconn.edu
- Ph.D. 2012, in Nutrition and Food Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- M.S. 2009, in Food Science, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- B.S. 2006, in Food Science, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, Hunan, China
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Assistant Professor (August 2014 – Present)
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- Faculty member at Institute of Materials Science (IMS)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate (2013 – 2014)
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Research/Teaching Assistant (2009 – 2012)
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- Assistant Professor (August 2014 – Present)
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Travel Grant for International Conference on Bioencapsulation, Canada. September 2012
- Travel Award for National ACS Meeting, ACS of Washington. March. 2012
- Summer Research Fellowship, University of Maryland. Summer. 2011
- Goldhaber Travel Grant, University of Maryland. July. 2010
EDITORIAL AND REVIEWER EXPERIENCE
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Agriculture and Food Research (Elsevier), 2019 – present
- Editor, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules (Elsevier), 2015 – present
- Associate Editor, Engieered Science, 2018 – present
- Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Food Science (Wiley), 2019 – present
- Heliyon (Elsevier), 2016 – present
- Recent Patents on Drug Delivery and Formulation (Bentham), 2016 – present
- Reviewed 400+ manuscripts for more than 40 journals:
- ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering
- ACS Nano
- African Journal of Biotechnology
- Arabian Journal of Chemistry
- Asian Journal of Nutrition and Food Science
- Asian-Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering
- Biochemistry and Analytical Biochemistry
- Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering
- Carbohydrate Polymers
- Chinese Medicine
- Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces
- European Food Research and Technology
- Food and Bioproducts Processing
- Food and Function
- Food Biophysics
- Food Chemistry
- Food Hydrocolloids
- Food Research International
- Food Science (Chinese journal)
- Food Science and Nutrition
- Innovative Food Science and Engineering Technologies
- International Journal of Biological Macromolecules
- International Journal of Food Science and Technology
- International Journal of Pharmaceutics
- Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science
- Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology
- Journal of Food Biochemistry
- Journal of Food Processing and Preservation
- Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry
- Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- International Journal of Nanomedicine
- LWT-Food Science and Technology
- Nanotechnology, Science and Applications
- Nutrition and Dietary Supplements
- PLOS One
- RSC Advances
- Reviewer for session proposals and technical abstracts for IFT Annual Meeting: 2011-present.
- American Society of Nutrition (ASN), 2014-present
- American Chemical Society (ACS), 2010-present
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), 2009-present
The major research focus of Dr. Luo’s laboratory is to utilize nanotechnology-based techniques to develop biocompatible, biodegradable, and non-toxic nanoscale delivery systems for nutrients. In particular, Dr. Luo’s laboratory studies the physical and chemical interactions among food biomaterials at nanoscale to fabricate various delivery systems, including nanoparticles, nanocomplexes, nanoemulsions, and hydrogels. The research in Dr. Luo’s laboratory includes the following directions:
- Discover, extract, and purify naturally-occurring nanomaterials from food-derived sources, and characterize their nanostructures for future applications.
- Fabricate colloidal nanoparticles from food biomaterials and apply environmentally-friendly chemistry to engineer their surface property for development of targeting-delivery vehicles.
- Understand GI-stability and in vivo fate of nanoparticles to better elucidate their biological efficacy for improving bioavailability of bioactive compounds.
PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS (recent three years)
- Wang T, Luo Y. Biological fate of ingested lipid-based nanoparticles: Current understanding and future directions. Nanoscale, in press. DOI: 10.1039/C9NR03025E.
- Hu Q, Lee JY, Luo Y. Nanoparticles targeting hepatic stellate cells for the treatment of liver fibrosis. Engineered Science, 2019, 6, 12-21.
- Hu Q, Bae M, Fleming E, Lee JY, Luo Y. Biocompatible polymeric nanoparticles with exceptional gastrointestinal stability as oral delivery vehicles for lipophilic bioactives. Food Hydrocolloids, 2019, 89, 386-395.
- Wang T, Luo Y. Chitosan hydrogel beads functionalized with thymol-loaded solid lipid-polymer hybrid nanoparticles. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 19(10), 3112.
- Hu Q, Luo Y. Recent Advances of polysaccharide-based nanoparticles for oral insulin delivery. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2018, 120, 775-782.
- Zhou M, Hu Q, Wang T, Xue J, Luo Y. Alginate hydrogel beads as a carrier of low density lipoprotein/pectin nanogels for potential oral delivery applications. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2018, 120, 859-864.
- Wang T, Bae M, Lee JY, Luo Y. Solid lipid-polymer hybrid nanoparticles prepared with natural biomaterials: A new platform for oral delivery of lipophilic bioactives. Food Hydrocolloids, 2018, 84, 581-592.
- Veneranda M, Hu Q, Wang T, Castro K, Madariaga J, Luo Y. Formation and characterization of zein-caseinate-pectin complex nanoparticles for encapsulation of eugenol. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 2018, 89, 596-603.
- Xue J, Wang T, Hu Q, Zhou M, Luo Y. Insight into natural biopolymers-emulsified solid lipid nanoparticles for encapsulation of curcumin: Effect of loading methods. Food Hydrocolloids, 2018, 79, 110-116.
- Zhou M, Hu Q, Wang T, Xue J, Luo Y. Characterization of high density lipoprotein from egg yolk and its ability to form nanocomplexes with chitosan as natural delivery vehicles. Food Hydrocolloids, 2018, 77, 204-211.
- Zhou M, Khen K, Wang T, Hu Q, Xue J, Luo Y. Chemical crosslinking improves the gastrointestinal stability and enhances nutrient delivery potentials of egg yolk LDL/polysaccharide nanogels. Food Chemistry, 2018, 237, 840-847.
- Xue J, Wang T, Hu Q, Zhou M, Luo Y. A novel and organic solvent-free preparation of solid lipid nanoparticles using natural biopolymers as emulsifier and stabilizer. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2017, 531, 59-66.
- Wang T, Xue J, Hu Q, Zhou M, Luo Y. Preparation of lipid nanoparticles with high loading capacity and exceptional gastrointestinal stability for potential oral delivery applications. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2017, 507, 119-130.
- Chang C, Wang T, Hu Q, Luo Y. Caseinate-zein-polysaccharide complex nanoparticles as potential oral delivery vehicles for curcumin: Effect of polysaccharide type and chemical cross-linking. Food Hydrocolloids, 2017, 72, 254-262.
- Chang C, Wang T, Hu Q, Luo Y. Zein/caseinate/pectin complex nanoparticles: Formation and characterization. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2017, 107, 117-124.
- Wang T, Xue J, Hu Q, Zhou M, Chang C, Luo Y. Synthetic surfactant- and cross-linker-free preparation of highly stable lipid-polymer hybrid nanoparticles as potential oral delivery vehicles. Scientific Reports, 2017, 7, 2750.
- Chang C, Wang T, Hu Q, Zhou M, Xue J, Luo Y. Pectin coating improves physicochemical properties of caseinate/zein nanoparticles as oral delivery vehicles for curcumin. Food Hydrocolloids, 2017, 70, 143-151.
- Wang T, Ma X, Lei Y, Luo Y. Solid lipid nanoparticles coated with cross-linked polymeric double layer for oral delivery of curcumin. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2016, 148, 1-11.
- Murillo AG, Aguilar D, Norris G, Dimarco D, Missimer A, Hu S, Smythe J, Gannon S, Blesso CN, Luo Y, Fernandez ML. Compared with powdered lutein, a lutein nanoemulsion increases plasma and liver lutein, protects against hepatic steatosis, and affects lipoprotein metabolism in Guinea pigs. The Journal of Nutrition, Accepted (August 2nd, 2016).
- Wang T, Ma X, Lei Y, Luo Y. Solid lipid nanoparticles coated with cross-linked polymeric double layer for oral delivery of curcumin. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerface. 2016, 148, 1-11.
- Wang T, Hu Q, Zhou M, Xia Y, Nieh M-P, Luo Y. Development of “all natural” layer-by-layer redispersible solid lipid nanoparticles by nano spray drying technology. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2016, 107, 273-285.
- Wang T, Hu Q, Zhou M, Xue J, Luo Y. Preparation of ultra-fine powders from polysaccharide-coated solid lipid nanoparticles and nanostructured lipid carriers by innovative nano spray drying technology. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2016, 511(1), 219-222.
- Wang T, Soyama S, Luo Y. Development of a novel functional drink from all natural ingredients using nanotechnology. LWT Food Science and Technology, 2016, 73, 458-466.
- Hu Q, Wang T, Zhou M, Xue J, Luo Y. Formation of redispersible polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles from gallic acid-chitosan conjugate and gum arabic. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2016, 92, 812-819.
- Hu Q, Wang T, Zhou M, Luo Y. In vitro antioxidant activity evaluation of gallic acid grafted chitosan conjugate synthesized by free radical induced grafting method. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2016, 64(29), 5893-5900.
- Zhou M, Hu Q, Wang T, Xue J, Luo Y. Effects of different polysaccharides on the formation of egg yolk LDL complex nanogels for nutrient delivery. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2016, 153, 336-344.
- Hu S, Wang T, Fernandez ML, Luo Y. Development of tannic acid cross-linked hollow zein nanoparticles as potential oral delivery vehicles for curcumin. Food Hydrocolloids, 2016, 61, 821-831.
- Hu Q, Luo Y. Polyphenol-chitosan conjugates: Synthesis, characterization, and applications. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2016, 151, 624-639.
- Ma X, Wang T, Song D, Hargrove D, Dong Q, Luo Z, Chen J, Lu X, Luo Y, Fan T-H, Lei Y. Protein microspheres with unique green and red autofluorescence for non-invasively tracking and modelling their in vivo biodegradation. ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering. 2016 (Accepted)
- Hu Q, Gerhard H, Indu U, Venkitanarayanan K, Luo Y. Antimicrobial eugenol nanoemulsion prepared by gum arabic and lecithin and evaluation of drying technologies. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2016, 87, 130-140.
- Zhou M, Wang T, Hu Q, Luo Y. Low density lipoprotein/pectin complex nanogels as potential oral delivery vehicles. Food Hydrocolloids, 2016, 57, 20-29.
- Teng Z, Luo Y, Li Y, Wang Q. Cationic beta-lactoglobulin nanoparticles as a bioavailability enhancer: Effect of surface properties and size on the transport and delivery in vitro. Food Chemistry, 2016, 391-399.
- Luo Y, Hu Q. 2015. Food-derived biopolymers for nutrient delivery. In: “Nanotechnology in Food Industry”. Edited by Grumezescu A. Elsevier. (ISBN: 9780128043042)
- Luo Y, Wang T. 2015. Pharmaceutical and cosmetic applications of waste derived proteins. In “Proteins Byproducts: Transformation from Environmental Burden into Value-Added Products”. Edited by Dhillon GS. Elsevier. (ISBN: 9780128023914)
- Luo Y, Wang Q. 2014. Nanofabrication Techniques in Native Polymer-based 3D Substitutes. In “Native Macromolecule-based 3D Tissues Repair”. Edited by Wang J. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. (ISBN: 978-981-4551-92-2)
- Luo Y, Wang Q. 2012. Bioactive Compounds in Corn. In “Cereals and Pulses: Nutraceutical Properties and Health Benefits”. Edited by Yu L, Tsao R, Shahida F. Functional Food Science and Technology Series. Wiley-Blackwell. (ISBN: 978-0-8138-1839-9
NUSC 1165 – Fundamentals of Nutrition
NUSC 1645 – Science of Food
NUSC 3233 – Food Composition and Preparation
NUSC 5500 – Food Colloids and Nanotechnology
Jingyi Xue, Ph.D., in progress.
Bai Qu, Ph.D., in progress.
Erika Fleming, M.S., in progress.
Pingxu Qin, M.S., in progress.
Qiaobin Hu, Ph.D., completed in July 2019
Taoran Wang, Ph.D, completed in June 2019.
Mingyong Zhou, M.S., completed in December 2018.