Office: R.E. Jones Building (JONS) Room 209
Phone: (860) 486-6275
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Public Health, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Master of Public Health, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Professor, Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut (UCONN), Storrs, CT, 2020-present
- Associate Professor, Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut (UCONN), Storrs, CT, 2014–2020
- Assistant Professor, Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut (UCONN), Storrs, CT, 2008–2014
- Assistant Professor, Nutrition and Dietetics, East Carolina University (ECU), Greenville, NC, 2007–2008
- Research Assistant Professor, Food Science & Human Nutrition (FSHN), Michigan State University (MSU), East Lansing, MI, 2006–2007
- Research Associate, FSHN, MSU, East Lansing, MI, 2003–2006
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Food Science & Technology, Cornell University, 2002–2003
- Research Scientist, Seoul Institute of Public Health and Environment, 1992–2002
- American Society for Nutrition: Chair of Community and Public Health Nutrition RIS, 2016-2018; Past Chair, 2018-2019; Advisory Board at Large, since 2018
- American College of Nutrition: Fellow of the American College of Nutrition (FACN), since 2014
- American Chemical Society
- Korean Public Health Association
- Korean Society of food Science and Technology
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Award Recipient of Brain Pool Oversea Scholar Program, Korean Federation of Science and Technology (KOFST) Societies, January – August 2016
- Selected for Faculty Sabbatical Clinical Training Program, National Institutes of Health Clinical Research Center, April – May 2016
- Fellow of American College of Nutrition, December 10, 2013
- Charles A. Ragus Award for 2012 the Best Original Research Paper published in the Journal of American College of Nutrition, 54th Annual Conference of the American College of Nutrition, November 16, 2013
- Government Researcher Overseas Scholarships for 2002-2004, Seoul Metropolitan Government, Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs, Korea
- Overseas Postdoctoral Fellowship 2002–2003, Korea Science and Engineering Foundation, Ministry of Science & Technology, Korea
- Honors Thesis, 2002 Annual Meeting of Korean Society of Food Science and Technology, May 2002
- Graduated with Honors Thesis, Doctoral degree, Seoul National University, February 1999
MEMBER OF EDITORIAL BOARD
- Nutrients, since 2018
- Nutrition Research Practice, since 2018
- American Journal of Epidemiology & Public Health, since 2017
- Heliyon, since 2017
- International Journal of Nutritional Sciences, since 2016
- Journal of the American College of Nutrition, since 2014
- Journal of Human Nutrition and Food Science, since 2014
- Journal of Nutrition and Health, since 2013
- Vitamins and Minerals, since 2012
- Journal of Obesity and Weight Loss Therapy, since 2011
- Journal of Clinical Trials, since 2011
- Journal of Nutritional Disorders and Therapy, since 2011
- Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences, since 2010
- World Journal of Orthopaedics (WJO), since 2010
PANEL REVIEWER FOR FEDERAL/INTERNATIONAL GRANTS
- Invited Panel Reviewer for the USDA ARS’s Human Nutrition National Program, October – December 2018
- Invited External Grant Review Panel of the The Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), September – October 2012
- Invited External Grant Review Panel of the Individual Research Grants (IRG), National Medical Research Council, Ministry of Health, Singapore, January 2010 and February 2012
- Invited ASN Reviewer of a position statement on Food and Nutrition Program for Community Residing Adults. The position statement was being developed jointly by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior and ASN, July – August 2017
- Invited External Reviewer of the USDA’s Database for the Proanthocyanidin Contect of Selected Foods, Release 2, April 20 – May 31, 2015
- Invited Peer Reviewer for the World Cancer Research Fund International and American Institute for Cancer Research Second Expert Report, Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective, November – December 2013
- Invited External Reviewer of the National Center for Complementary and alternative Medicine (NCCAM) consumer fact sheets, Antioxidant Supplements for Health: An Introduction, June 29 – July 16, 2012
- Panel for Fruit and Vegetable Workshop in Purchase, NY, September 29, 2010
- NUSC 1165 Fundamentals of Nutrition
- NUSC 3180 Experience in Community Nutrition
- NUSC 3230 Principles of Community Nutrition
- NUSC 4237W Writing in the Nutritional Sciences
- NUSC 4260 Dietary Supplements and Functional Foods
- NUSC 5394 Graduate Seminar
- NUSC 6317 Nutritional Epidemiology
- NUSC 6319 Research Design and Methods in Nutritional Sciences
GRADUATED MS STUDENTS
- Xin Sun (MS: May 2017)
- Xi Zheng (MS: May 2015)
- Patrice Hubert (MS: May 2015)
- Catherine G. Davis: Estimation of the Number of Days Required to Determine Usual Antioxidant Intakes and Assessment of the Prevalence of Nutrient Inadequacy Among College Students (MS: May 2011)
- Anna Floegel: Development of an Algorithm to Establish a Total Antioxidant Capacity Database of the U.S. Population (MS: August 2009)
GRADUATED PH.D. STUDENTS
- Melissa M. Melough: Relationship between dietary furocoumarin exposure and skin cancer risk (PhD: July 2019)\
- Terrence M. Vance: The Association between Dietary Antioxidants and Prostate Cancer Aggressiveness (PhD: November 2015).
- Sang-Gil Lee: Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory Properties of Berries: Effect of Anthocyanin Composition (PhD: December 2014)
- Ying Wang, Dietary Antioxidant Capacity: A Useful Tool in Assessing Dietary, Plasma Antioxidant Status and Cardiovascular Disease Risk (PhD: December 2012)
- Meng Yang: Development and Validation of a Food Frequency Questionnaire to Assess Antioxidant Intake in U.S. Adults (PhD: June 2012)
CURRENT GRADUATE STUDENTS
- Rachel Hair, PhD student, since Fall 2020
- Dalia Marmash, 4+1 MS student, since Fall 2019
- Junichi Sakaki, PhD student, since Fall 2017
POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS/VISITING SCHOLARS/SCIENTISTS
- Dr. Kyungho Ha, Postdoctoral Fellow, November 2019 – November 2020
- Dr. Kijoon Kim, PhD, Visiting Scientist, January 2014 – December 2020
- Dr. Sang Gil Lee, Research Specialist, October 2017 – February 2018
- Dae-Ok Kim, PhD, Visiting Professor, Kyung Hee University, Korea, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013
My long term research interest is in the area of dietary and lifestyle factors and their impact on chronic diseases with emphasis on prevention and risk reduction. At UConn, I have developed several new research projects with focus on the relationships between dietary antioxidants/functional foods and chronic disease risks and biomarkers. Through a project supported by the American Heart Association, my research team has documented the baseline dietary Total Antioxidant Capacity (TAC) of the U.S. population and developed a dietary TAC database of the U.S. diet for future applications in human antioxidant research and also validated this investigative protocol by establishing relationships between estimated dietary antioxidant intakes of U.S. adults and the concentrations of antioxidants in blood and urine. From this study, we established that dietary TAC is inversely associated with CVD risk factors such as serum homocysteine and C-Reactive Protein (CRP) concentrations. This finding indicated that dietary TAC is a useful tool in human clinical and intervention studies for assessing dietary antioxidant status and predicting plasma anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory responses. Another project, funded by the Donaghue Foundation, further validated the concept under different conditions. Another project, funded by Pepsi Co Inc., was designed to investigate the impact of orange juice consumption on micronutrient adequacy, macronutrient and energy intakes, weight status and body composition, and bone health in U.S. population.
One of my research areas is on the impacts of dietary behaviors on cancer risk. I just completed a project entitled “Does Dietary Antioxidant Predict Prostate Cancer Aggressiveness?” as PI. This project was funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Nutritional Epidemiology Program. This project enabled me to investigate the role of antioxidants in prostate cancer aggressiveness. In this study with 2,000 African American (AA) and Caucasian American (CA) men who had been recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, my research team found that greater antioxidant intake was associated with a reduced risk of advanced prostate cancer and that this protective role of antioxidants may be through reducing oxidative stress. I also received funding from NCI as a Co-PI for a project entitled “Psoralen and Melanoma.” For this project, in collaboration with Dr. Eunyoung Cho at Brown Alpert Medical School and Harvard NHS and HPFS cohort team, my laboratory is analyzing furanocoumarins (psoralens) and their metabolites in plasma and urine samples from the Nurses’ Health Study (NHS) and the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study (HPFS). We will also develop a psoralen food database by analyzing the components in foods and ultimately examine if psoralen intake from diet is associated with melanoma risk in these cohorts. As a supplemental project, we are also conducting a pilot absorption and excretion kinetic study of furocoumarins in grapefruits.
Recently I received funding from USDA AFRI Seeds Grant Program with a project titled “Blackcurrant Modifies Gut Microbiota and Reduces the Risk of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis: A Pilot Randomized Clinical Trial.” For this project, we are currently planning to conduct a human clinical trial in collaboration with Dr. Mark Adams at the Jackson Laboratory in Farmington, CT and Dr. Elaine Lee at UConn Kinesiology. My research team is also conducting a project entitled “Longitudinal Study Assessing Impact of 100% Orange Juice Intake on Anthropometric and Cardiometabolic Indicators and Health-Related Behaviors in U.S. Children.” This project is funded by the Florida Citrus Department, and we are conducting epidemiologic studies by utilizing a large cohort data of U.S. children from Growing Up Today Study (GUTS) in collaboration with Dr. Ming-Hui Chen at UConn and Dr. Jorge Chavarro and Dr. Jaime Hart at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
My future plan is to continue and expand my research in the area of dietary antioxidants and their health benefits in individuals as well as in the U.S. population. This will lead to a better understanding of the nutritional basis for the prevention and treatment of diet-associated chronic diseases and hopefully lead to the establishment of effective evidence-based dietary strategies and guidelines for the public, especially in relation to CVD and cancer.
- Blackcurrant Modifies Gut Microbiota and reduces the Risk of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis: A Pilot Randomized Clinical Trial. National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA). January 2020 – December 2021. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Assessment of Risk of Exposure to Estrogenic Chemicals via Capsule Coffee Consumption. National Institutes of Health (1R03ES027983-01A1). June 2018 – June 2021. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Beneficial and Adverse Effects of Natural Chemicals on Human Health and Food Safety: Citrus Intake and Skin Cancer Risk. USDA Hatch Multistate Capacity Grant. October 2019 – September 2022. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Microbiome Plasticity and Pathogenicity in Older Adults: Baselines and Transitions from Skilled Nursing Care. National Institutes of Health (1R56AG060746-01A1). September 2019 – August 2020. Role in project: Collaborator (PI: Oh J)
- The Impact of the Nutrition Guidance System on the Nutrient Density of the Food Distributed in Pantries, the Food Pantry Clients’ Dietary Quality and Their Health: An Explorative Study. NUSC Department fund. November 2019 – September 2020. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Longitudinal Study Assessing Impact of 100% Orange Juice Intake on Anthropometric and Cardiometabolic Indicators and Health-Related Behaviors in U.S. Children. Florida State Department of Citrus. July 2018 – June 2021. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Blackcurrant Prevents Osteoporosis Associated with Aging by Inhibiting Formation of Advanced Oxidation Protein Products. National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA). December 2015 – December 2018. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Assessment of dietary exposure of furocoumarins and its health impact in the United States. USDA Hatch Grant. October 2017 – September 2022. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Psoralen and Melanoma. National Cancer Institute Omnibus R21. August 2015 – July 2017. Role in project: Co-PI (PI: Eunyoung Cho at Brown)
- Contribution of Egg Consumption to Improving Nutrient Adequacy and Reducing Cardiovascular Disease Risk in U.S. Adults. Allen Foundation. July 2015 – June 2018. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Evaluation of Total Antioxidant Capacity as a Dietary Tool for Assessing Antioxidant Defense Status, Inflammation, and Diabetes Risk in a Subsample of Korean Adult Population. Korean Federation of Science and Technology (KOFST) Societies Brain Pool Program for Outstanding Oversea Scholars. January 2016 – August 2016
- Bioavailability of Furocoumarins in Grapefruits: A Pilot Absorption and Excretion Kinetic Study. UConn Research Foundation Research Excellence Program. June 2015 – December 2016. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Study of the Changes in Furocoumarin and Its Metabolites in Human Blood and Urine after Grapefruit Consumption: Pilot Study funded by Brown Medical School. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Chokeberry Polyphenols Promote Bone Health by Inhibiting Inflammation-Induced Bone Resorption. Nutricia Research Foundation Research Grant. January 2012 – December 2015. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Does Pinto Bean Promote Bone Health in Postmenopausal Women? Northarvest Bean Growers Association Dry Bean Health Research Program Incentive Award. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Dietary Supplement Effects on Metabolic Syndrome and Insulin Resistance. A Pilot Clinical Trial to Test the Effects of Efficacy. Telomerase Activator Research Grant. Role in project: Co-PI (PI: Fernandez M.L.)
- Identification of Anthocyanin Composition of Berries and Their Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory Properties. USDA Hatch Grant, UConn. October 2012 – September 2017. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Does Dietary Antioxidant Predict Aggressiveness of Prostate Cancer? National Institutes of Health. March 2012 – February 2015. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- The effect of chokeberry polyphenols on biomarkers of cardiovascular disease and antioxidant defenses in former smokers. Connecticut Department of Public Health Biomedical Research. Role in project: Co-PI (PI: Bolling B.)
- Nutritional Evaluation of Orange Juice in American Diet. Pepsi Co. July 2010 – December 2011. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Total antioxidant capacity: A useful tool in assessing antioxidant intake status. Donaghue Research Foundation Supported Nutrition Research Competition. April 2010 – March 2011. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Total Dietary Antioxidant Capacity Associated with the Risks of Cardiovascular Disease Mediated by Oxidative Stress. Submitted to the American Heart Association Beginning Grant-in-Aid (BGIA) for Mid-Atlantic Affiliate. July 2008 – June 2010. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Pharmacokinetics and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Quercetin. Donaghue Research Foundation Supported Nutrition Research Competition. July 2009 – June 2010. Role in project: Co-PI (PI: Bruno R.)
- Development of an Algorithm to Establish Total Antioxidant Capacity Database of US Population. Faculty Large Grant, UConn Research Foundation. January 2009 – December 2009. Role in project: Principal Investigator
- Validation of the total antioxidant capacity database of the U.S. population. USDA Hatch Grant, UConn. October 2009 – September 2012. Role in project: Principal Investigator
Peer-Reviewed Articles (recent 5 years)
Kyungho Ha, Kijoon Kim, Junichi R. Sakaki, Ock K. Chun. Relative Validity of Dietary Total Antioxidant Capacity for Predicting All-Cause Mortality in Comparison to Diet Quality Indexes in US Adults. Under review in Nutrients 2020 Apr 25;12(5):E1210. doi: 10.3390/nu12051210.
Weiyi Sun, Megan S. Rice, Min Kyung Park, Ock K. Chun, Melissa M. Melough, Hongmei Nan, Wenqing Li, Abrar A. Qureshi, Eunyoung Cho. Intake of Furocoumarins and Risk of Skin Cancer in Two Prospective US Cohort Studies. J Nutr. 2020;00:1–10. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxaa062 (Published on March 28, 2020)
Lei Cao, Sang Gil Lee, Melissa M. Melough, Junichi Sakaki, Kendra Maas, Sung I. Koo, Ock K. Chun. Long-term blackcurrant supplementation modified gut microbiome profiles in mice in an age-dependent manner: an exploratory study. Nutrients 2020 Jan 21;12(2). pii: E290. doi: 10.3390/nu12020290.
Kijoon Kim, Melissa M. Melough, Junichi Sakaki, Kyungho Ha, Dalia Marmash, Hwayoung Noh and Ock K. Chun. Association between urinary cadmium-to-zinc intake ratio and adult mortality in follow-up study of NHANES 1988-1994 and 1999-2004. Nutrients. 2019 Dec 24;12(1). pii: E56. doi: 10.3390/nu12010056.
Junichi Sakaki, Melissa M. Melough, Jing Li, Rulla Tamimi, Jorge Chavarro, Ming-hui Chen, Ock K. Chun. Associations between 100% orange juice consumption and dietary, lifestyle and anthropometric characteristics in a cross-sectional study of U.S. children and adolescents. Nutrients. 2019 Nov 6;11(11):2687. doi: 10.3390/nu11112687.
Melissa M. Melough, Shaowei Wu, Charles Eaton, Abrar A. Qureshi, Ock K. Chun*, Eunyoung Cho*. Citrus Consumption and Risk of Cutaneous Malignant Melanoma in the Women’s Health Initiative. Nutr Cancer. 2020;72(4):568-575. doi: 10.1080/01635581.2019.1644353. Epub 2019 Jul 23.
Melissa M. Melough, Kijoon Kim, Eunyoung Cho, Ock K Chun. Relationship between Furocoumarin Intake and Melanoma History among US Adults in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2012. Nutr Cancer. 72(1): 24-32, 2020. doi: 10.1080/01635581.2019.1612928.
Melissa M. Melough, Sang-Jin Chung, Maria Luz Fernandez, Ock K. Chun. Association of Eggs with Dietary Nutrient Adequacy and Cardiovascular Risk in US Adults. Public Health Nutr. 22(11): 2033-2042, 2019 Aug. doi: 10.1017/S1368980019000211.
Hana M. Al-Yousef, Bruno S. Lemos, Minu Sara Thomas, Melissa M. Melough, Ock K Chun and Maria Luz Fernandez. Low Plasma HDL Cholesterol is Associated with Greater Risk for Cardiovascular Disease in Subjects with Metabolic Syndrome. Current Topics of Biochemical Research. 19:25-36, 2018 Dec
Kijoon Kim, Melissa M. Melough, Terrence M. Vance, Dongwoo Kim, Hwayoung Noh, Sung I. Koo, Ock K. Chun. The relationship between zinc intake and cadmium burden is influenced by smoking status. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 125:210-216, 2019 Mar. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2019.01.004.
Kijoon Kim, Melissa M. Melough, Terrence M. Vance, Hwayoung Noh, Sung I. Koo, Ock K. Chun. Dietary cadmium intake and sources in the US. Nutrients. 11(1). pii: E2, 2018 Dec. doi: 10.3390/nu11010002.
Junichi Sakaki, Melissa M. Melough, Sang Gil Lee, Judy Kalinowski, Sun-Kyeong Lee, Sung I. Koo, Ock K. Chun. Blackcurrant supplementation improves trabecular bone mass in young but not aged mice. Nutrients. 10(11). pii: E1671, 2018 Nov. doi: 10.3390/nu10111671.
Melissa M. Melough, Ock K. Chun Dietary Furocoumarins and Skin Cancer: A Review of Current Biological Evidence. Food Chem Toxicol. 122:163-171, 2018 Dec. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2018.10.027. Epub 2018 Oct 11. Review.
Yoojin Lee, Tho X. Pham, Minkyung Bae, Siqi Hu, Edward O’Neill, Ock K. Chun, Myung Joo Han, Sung I. Koo, Young-Ki Park, Ji-Young Lee. Blackcurrant (Ribes nigrum) consumption prevents obesity-induced non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in mice. Obesity 2019 27, 112-120. doi:10.1002/oby.22353
Bong Han Lee, Tae-Gyu Nam, Sun Young Kim, Ock K. Chun, Dae-Ok Kim. Estimated Daily Per Capita Intakes of Phenolics and Antioxidants from Coffee in the Korean Diet. Food Sci Biotechnol 2018. Aug 9;28(1):269-279. doi.org/10.1007/s10068-018-0447-5
Maria Luz Fernandez, Minu Sara Thomas, Bruno S. Lemos, Diana DiMarco, Melissa M. Melough, Amanda Missimer, Ana G. Murillo, Ock K. Chun, Hana Alyousef, Isabel Medina-Vera. TA-65, A Telomerase Activator, Improves Cardiovascular Markers in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome. Curr Pharm Des. 2018;24(17):1905-1911. doi: 10.2174/1381612824666180316114832.
Melissa M. Melough, Eunyoung Cho, Ock K. Chun. Furocoumarins: A Review of Biochemical Activities, Dietary Sources and Intake, and Potential Health Risks. Food Chem Toxicol. 113:99-107, 2018 Mar
Kyungho Ha; Kijoon Kim, Ock K. Chun, Hyojee Joung, YoonJu Song. Differential association of dietary carbohydrate intake with metabolic syndrome in US and Korean adults: Data from the 2007-2012 NHANES and KNHANES. Eur J Clin Nutr 72(6):848-860, 2018 June.
Kijoon Kim, Terrence M. Vance, Ming-Hui Chen, Ock K. Chun. Dietary total antioxidant capacity is inversely associated with all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality of U.S. adults. Eur J Nutrition 57(7):2469-2476, 2018 Oct.
Melissa M. Melough, Xin Sun, Ock K. Chun. The Role of AOPP in age-related bone loss and the potential benefits of dietary antioxidants. Nutrients. 2017 Jul 22;9(7). pii: E789. doi: 10.3390/nu9070789. Review.
Melissa M. Melough, Sang Gil Lee, Eunyoung Cho, Kijoon Kim, Anthony Provatas, Christopher Perkins, Min Kyung Park, Abrar Qureshi, Ock Chun. Identification and Quantitation of Furocoumarin in Popularly Consumed Foods in the U.S. using UPLC-MS/MS. J Agri Food Chem. 2017 Jun 21;65(24):5049-5055. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.7b01279. Epub 2017 Jun 12.
Shinyoung Jun, Ock K. Chun, Dan Yedu Quansah, Yang Hei, Hyojee Joung. Estimation of Dietary Total Antioxidant Capacity of Korean Adults. Eur J Nutr 2017 Apr 12. doi: 10.1007/s00394-017-1447-6. [Epub ahead of print]
Melissa A. Melough, Terrence M. Vance, Sang Gil Lee, Christopher Perkins, Anthony Provatas, Abrar Qureshi, Eunyoung Cho, Ock K. Chun. Furocoumarin Kinetics in Plasma and Urine of Healthy Adults Following Consumption of Grapefruit (Citrus paradisi Macf.) and Grapefruit Juice. J Agri Food Chem. 2017 Mar. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.7b00317. [Epub ahead of print]
Gyung-Ah Wie, Yeong-Ah Cho, Hyun-hee Kang, Kyoung A Ryu, Min-Kyoung Yoo, Jeongseon Kim, Sangah Shin, Ock K. Chun, Hyojee Joung. Identification of major dietary patterns of Korean adults and their association with cancer risk in the Cancer Screening Examination Cohort (CSEC). Eur J Clin Nutr. 2017 Mar. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2017.6. [Epub ahead of print]
Liyang Xie, Terrance Vance, Bohkyung Kim, Sang-Gil Lee, Christian Caceres, Ying Wang, Ji-Young Lee, Ock Chun, Bradley W. Bolling. Aronia berry polyphenol consumption reduces plasma LDL and total cholesterol in former smokers without reducing biomarkers of inflammation or oxidative stress: a randomized trial. Nutr Res. 37:67-77, 2017 Jan. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2016.12.007.
Sang Gil Lee, Taoran Wang, Terrence M. Vance, Patrice Hubert, Dae-Ok Kim, Sung I. Koo, Ock K. Chun. Validation of analytical methods for plasma total antioxidant capacity by comparing with urinary 8-isoprostane level. J Microbiol Biotech. 27(2):388-394, 2017 Feb. doi: 10.4014/jmb.1604.04053.
Melissa A. Moser, Ock K. Chun. Vitamin C and Heart Health: A Review Based on Findings from Epidemiologic Studies. Int J Mol Sci. 17(8). pii: E1328. doi: 10.3390/ijms17081328. 2016 Aug.
Bohkyung Kim, Sang Gil Lee, Chai Siah Ku, Youngki Park, Yue Yang, Tho X Pham, Casey Wegner, Sung I. Koo, Ock K. Chun, Jiyoung Lee. Blueberry, blackberry, and blackcurrant differentially affect plasma lipids and pro-inflammatory markers in diet-induced obesity mice. Nutr Res Pract. 10(5):494-500, 2016.
Sang Gil Lee, Kijoon Kim, Terrence M. Vance, Christopher Perkins, Anthony Provatas, Shaowei Wu, Abrar Qureshi, Eunyoung Cho, Ock K. Chun. Development of a comprehensive analytical method for furanocoumarins in grapefruit and their metabolites in plasma and urine using UPLC-MS/MS: A preliminary study. Int J Food Sci Nutr 67(8): 881-7, 2016 Dec. DOI:10.1080/09637486.2016.1207157
Liyang Xie, Sang-Gil Lee, Terrence Vance, Ying Wang, Bohkyung Kim, Ji-Young Lee, Ock Chun, Bradley Bolling. Bioavailability of anthocyanins and colonic polyphenol metabolites following consumption of aronia berry extract. Food Chem. 211:860-8, 2016 Nov. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.05.122.
Sang Gil Lee, Terrence Vance, Tae-Gyu Nam, Dae-Ok Kim, Sung I. Koo, Ock K. Chun. Evaluation of pH Differential and HPLC Methods Expressed as Cyanidin-3-glucoside Equivalent for Measuring the Total Anthocyanin Contents of Berries. J Food Measurement and Characterization. 10(3): 562–568, 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s11694-016-9337-9
Bong Han Lee, Tae-Gyu Nam, Na Young Park, Ock K Chun, Sung I. Koo, Dae-Ok Kim. Estimated daily intake of phenolics and antioxidants from green tea consumption in the Korean diet. Int J Food Sci Nutr 67(3): 344–352, 2016 May. doi: 10.3109/09637486.2016.1153612.
Xi Zheng, Se Hwan Mun, Sang Gil Lee, Terrence Vance, Patrice Hubert, Sung I. Koo, Sun Kyeong Lee, Ock K. Chun. Anthocyanin-rich black currant extract attenuates ovariectomy-induced bone loss in mice. J Medicinal Food 19(4):390-7, 2016 Apr. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2015.0148.
Kijoon Kim, Terrence M. Vance, Ock K. Chun. Greater flavonoid intake is associated with improved CVD risk factors in US adults. British J Nutr 115: 1481–1488, 2016 Apr
Kijoon Kim, Terrence M. Vance, Ock K. Chun. Greater total antioxidant capacity from diet and supplements is associated with a less atherogenic blood profile in U.S. adults. Nutrients 8(1):15, 2016 Jan. doi:10.3390/nu8010015
Terrence M. Vance, Ying Wang, Joseph Su, Elizabeth T. H. Fontham, Jeannette T. Bensen, James L. Mohler, Ming-Hui Chen, Ock K. Chun. Dietary Total Antioxidant Capacity is Inversely Associated with Prostate Cancer Aggressiveness in a Population-Based Study. Nutrition and Cancer 68(2):214-24, 2016 Feb-Mar
Xi Zheng, Sun-Kyeong Lee, Ock K. Chun. Soy Isoflavones and Osteoporotic Bone Loss: A Review with an Emphasis on Modulation of Bone Remodeling. J Medicinal Food 19 (1): 1–14, 2016 Jan
Sang Gil Lee, Terrence M. Vance, Tae-Gyu Nam, Dae-Ok Kim, Sung I. Koo, and Ock K. Chun. Contribution of Anthocyanin Composition to Total Antioxidant Capacity of Berries. Plant Food and Human Nutrition. 70(4): 427-432, 2015 December. 10.1007/s11130-015-0514-5
Terrence M. Vance, Ock K. Chun. Zinc Intake is Associated with Less Cadmium Burden. J Nutr 145 (12): 2741-8, 2015 Dec.
Terrence M. Vance, Gissou Azabdaftari, Elena A. Pop, Sang Gil Lee, L. Joseph Su, Elizabeth T. H. Fontham, Jeannette T. Bensen, Susan E. Steck, Lenore Arab, James L. Mohler, Ming-Hui Chen, Sung I. Koo, Ock K. Chun. Intake of Dietary Antioxidants is Inversely Associated with Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress among Men with Prostate Cancer. British J Nutr 115(1):68-74, 2016 Jan
Terrence M. Vance, Gissou Azabdaftari, Elena A. Pop, Sang Gil Lee, L. Joseph Su, Elizabeth T. H. Fontham, Jeannette T. Bensen, Susan E. Steck, Lenore Arab, James L. Mohler, Ming-Hui Chen, Sung I. Koo, Ock K. Chun. Thioredoxin 1 in Prostate Tissue is Associated with Gleason Score, Erythrocyte Antioxidant Enzyme Activity, and Dietary Antioxidants. Prostate Cancer 2015:728046, 2015 Aug. doi:10.1155/2015/728046.
Kijoon Kim, Terrence Vance, Ock K. Chun. Estimated Intake and Major Food Sources of Flavonoids among US Adults: Changes between 1999-2002 and 2007-2010. Eur J Nutr , 55(2), 833-843, 2016 Mar.
Nicholas Farrell, Gregory Norris, Sang Gil Lee, Ock K. Chun, and Christopher N. Blesso. Anthocyanin-rich Black Elderberry Extract Improves Markers of HDL Function and Reduces Aortic Cholesterol in Hyperlipidemic Mice. Food Func 6(4):1278-87, 2015 Apr
Sang Gil Lee, Terrence Vance, Do Yu Soung, Bohkyoung Kim, Jiyoung Lee, Sung I. Koo, M. Hicham Drissi, Ock K. Chun. Relationship between oxidative stress and bone mass in obesity and effects of berry supplementation on bone turnover: an exploratory study. J Med Food 18(4): 476-82, 2015 Apr
BOOK CHAPTERS (since 2008)
- Junichi Sakaki, Melissa M. Melough, Sun-Kyeong Lee, Ock K. Chun. Chapter 14. Anthocyanins as antioxidants and use in bone pathology. Victor Pree dy (eds.), Pathology: Oxidative Stress and Dietary Antioxidants (ISBN: 978-0-12-815972-9). Elsevier Academic Press. Released April 27, 2020.
- Junichi Sakaki, Melissa M. Melough, Sang Gil Lee, George Pounis, Ock K. Chun. Chapter 10. Polyphenol-rich Diets in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention. In Analysis in Nutrition Research. George Pounis (eds), Academic Press, London. pp. 259-298, October 2018, https://www.elsevier.com/books/analysis-in-nutrition-research/pounis/978-0-12-814556-2
- Sang Gil Lee, Terrence M. Vance, Ock K. Chun. Chapter 9. Antioxidative and anti-inflammatory effects and health implications of berry polyphenols: evidence from compositional and structural background to cell, animal, and human studies. Bagchi D, Swaroop A, Bagchi M (eds.), Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods in Human Health and Disease Prevention (2nd Edition), CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton. pp. 155-165, 2015.
- Ying Wang, Meng Yang, Sang-Gil Lee, Catherine Davis, Christopher Masterjohn, Anne Kenny, Richard S. Bruno, Ock K. Chun. Chapter 11. Total antioxidant capacity: a useful tool in assessing antioxidant intake status. M. Diederich and K. Noworyta (eds.), Natural compounds as inducers of cell death. Springer, NY. pp. 265-292, 2012.